Monday, August 02, 2004

More Bucky Baseball

Bucky Jacobson has an OPS% of 1.057. What is OPS? It is a combination of on base % and Slugging %. Basically it shows how complete of an offensive player you are. Can you get on base via a hit or a walk and can you hit for power. Anything above .900 is considered pretty good. 1.00 and above is very good. To put his numbers in perspective, Barry Bonds OPS is 1.354. Gay-Rod's OPS with the Yankees is .908. Anyway, not too shabby for Bucky. His stats translate to a monster offensive year with an awesome amount of strikeouts too. Mike Cameron strikeout numbers to be more specific. That being said, not bad for a career minor leaguer.
Bucky's stats are here.

1 comment:

Trent said...

MLB.com: What would you be doing if not playing baseball?

Jacobsen: Probably coaching somewhere. I went to school for social work, but I don't think I would be doing that. I realized when I going for my degree that I didn't want to do that. In social work, you are supposed to pick a particular group, like domestic violence, that doesn't push your buttons. For me, there wasn't anything that didn't push my buttons. A guy who wants to beat his wife or kids bugs me to the point where I want to beat him up. I wouldn't be a real good social worker.