Sunday, August 22, 2004

Amy in Vegas

Hi everyone! Aaron and I have arrived in Vegas and are busily getting settled in. We arrived last weekend to fairly overcast weather, so it was only a whopping 99 degrees or so while we unloaded the truck. We took our time driving down, so we are still in the process of unpacking. I got a little dehydrated when we first got here, but soon learned that I need to drink LOTS of water all the time. I have a water bottle superglued to my wrist.

The apartment we are renting is beautiful! And huge too--almost 1300 square feet. We have lots of big windows, and the dining area has a great view of the mountains (couldn't tell you what they're called yet. Still need to study Nevada geography and history before I teach fifth grade...). We have a den and a spare room, so there is plenty of room for visitors! Aaron and I have a sort-of-secret bet going on who will visit us in Vegas first.

This week I have been very busy with teacher orientation. If I had to choose one word to describe the experience, I'd have to say WOW. The district hired 1950 licensed teachers just this year, so you can imagine all of us running around at different meetings all week. The district seems pretty organized and uniform, which makes sense since it's so big. 187 elementary schools alone. I got to meet my principal (also named Amy) and assistant principal also. They gave me a tour of the school and the keys to my classroom. I have to say that I was spoiled when teaching in Edmonds, because I had such a new, beautiful school. This building isn't as nice, but what will be more important to me is the climate of the school staff. I'm crossing my fingers! Fifth graders--here I come! I plan on keeping a Costco supply of deodorant on hand for those raging hormones. Wish me luck.

Aaron is currently working with his friend that he knows from softball, who owns a tire replacement business. He has placed his resumes and applications to a few warehouse companies also. So we are both coming right along for just being here for a few days!

I will keep you all posted as much as I can. Please feel free to email or call. My new phone number is 702 374 2615. Love ya! Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! It's Rachelle. Glad you are settling in so fast. I miss you already! I can't wait to see your place- hopefully I can come down soon.
I'll call you soon. Take Care,Rachelle