Monday, August 09, 2004

EddddddGaaaaar...EddddGaaaar...EdddddGaaaar...

Some of you might remember the most important at bat in Mariners History (you should remember where you were as well. For me it was at Black Angus in B'ham. I was a cook screaming and shouting with dishwashers, bartenders, hostesses, waiters, and drunk patrons, all of us in the bar, watching one of the greatest playoff moments ever).

Deciding game Five, 1995 ALDS, against the Yankees. Down 5-4 in the bottom of the 11th (Randy Johnson had come on for the M's in the 9th (on one day of rest), and pitched great, but relinquished the lead in the top of the 11th), Edgar up to bat. Griffey on first. Cora the crier on third. Black Jack McDowell on the mound. Edgar hits a laser to the left field corner. Cora scores. Griffey rounds second (doesn't even look like he is touching the ground as he runs, he flies past third (remember how fast he was on that one play? Nobody scores from first on a double to the left field corner, especially with the outfield back protecting against just that). Junior slides into home safe, the M's are going to the ALCS!!! Just amazing.

Anyway, the word is that Edgar has played his last game, and I think it would be great if we all tried to remember exactly what made Edgar the Mariner's greatest player. I do think he actually bleeds blue.

Update: Great Edgar tribute piece
Edgar's Stats Look at those OPS numbers from 1995-2001.

2 comments:

Trent said...

I am glad you brought this up Dave. Edgar is my all time favorite baseball player. I had tears in my eyes listening to the press conference today in the car and then on TV.
I was fortunate to go to both game four and game five against the Yankees. His 2 Home runs and 7 RBI's in game four was the greatest and most clutch full-game performance I have ever seen. The atmosphere that night and the following night was the happiest I had ever been up to that point in my life. In fact, that whole 6-8 weeks was the coolest thing ever. At the end of game five it was if I had been elevated to baseball heaven and I never wanted it to end.
I would love to have people over sometime to watch game five again. I dare you not to get goose bumps and teary eyed.
WOW.

ericdagg said...

I just heard that he is going to play the rest of the season.