Monday, January 17, 2005

TIVO Challengers

So from what I understand the Comcast box is not as good as TIVO. However, it is FREE up front and it converts and can record High-Definition TV (we all will have HD within three years I am told). Here's to hoping TIVO lowers their box price and monthly service charge. Otherwise, if I purchase a HD TV in the future that needs the signal converted why would I keep using TIVO? Interesting dilemma...

Interesing article. By the way, my new DVD recorder is choice. Good-bye VHS.

4 comments:

Trent said...

I guess I should have clarified.
The DVR from Comcast only has a 60 hour capacity for regular TV and 15 hours for HD. The Tivo I have has 140 hours and the new ones have 160 I believe. In other words, the TIVO itself can be a generous storage device...if you need it. I need the extra space for all the stuff I record for school etc. and for all the shows/movies I am going to save and then copy to DVD. However, if I was just a casual viewer 60 hours might work fine.
Either way TIVO is on for some stiff competition and that usually results in more choices and lower prices for the consumer.

ericdagg said...

I seen this day coming for about 3 years now. I love my two TiVos, but I don't see them surviving the wrath of the large cable companies.

(you gotta admit being able to record more than one show at a time is huge)

Trent said...

Definitely agree with that. I actually have it hooked up to record three things at once if I need to right now. I haven't needed to yet, but it will be so cool when that day comes!
When I had TIVO with DirecTV I could record two things at once and it was great for Must See TV etc.
The way I look at it TIVO needs to add HD and lower their prices or they are done.
My fantasy box would be able to record two things at once, record 300 hours of normal cable and 75 hours of HD TV, have a built in DVD recorder, and also have the ability to send shows to friends via the cable.

My other fantasy box is Scarlett Johannsen.

Trent said...

Thanks for indulging me in my sophomoric humor.