Friday, October 01, 2004

Help is on the Way

So this morning I asked the students how many watched the debates. Surprisingly about seven or eight had tuned in. I asked them their impressions (without them doing an impression of course) and they all said Kerry won convincingly. They, or perhaps their parents, noticed the same things I did. Bush spent an hour and a half on the defensive and squirming around behind the podium. The kids also thought it was funny that Bush implied we were attacked by Iraq and Saddam as opposed to Osama Bin Laden. I reminded them that this administration has been implying that for the last two years (almost). However, I also reminded them to LISTEN to what Bush has to say even if they don't like him. It's important to be as objective as possible, and even though I know who I am voting for, I should still consider other alternative ways to improve our country and improve our standing in the world. They laughed and they think all teachers are silly.
Anyway, this story above about agrees with the kids. Undecided voters give Kerry an edge in the debate. This could change by tomorrow's polls so who knows. It's just interesting.

Drive On
It don't mean nothing
My children love me but they don't understand
And I got a woman who knows her man
Drive On

J.C.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Washington Post derided Bush's "stammering and pausing," the New York Times said he was "scowling and grimacing" and "petulant," the Boston Globe noted his "sighing, clenching his teeth, rolling his eyes," the LA Times said he seemed "tired and annoyed," and CBS News described Bush as "scowling at times and looking away in apparent disgust at others." Mark Halperin of ABC News summed it up: George Bush was "remarkably angry-seeming."

Omni said...

But what did they say about the CONTENT of his remarks, which is FAR more important than his facial expressions?

Trent said...

Two things:
1. Most liked what Kerry had to say better. Only one student in my three classes was very impressed with Bush's comments during the debate. This student enjoyed his decisive decission making and his 'stick-to-it-ness' in the messager. Others students countered that his stubborness is not a good thing when the decision is wrong. It just extends the mistake.

2. Since I teach Video we analyzed the debate w/o the sound, concentrating on the candidates demeanor. Ever since Kennedy vs. Nixon you can almost always tell who will win the debate by leaving the volume off and just watching the presentation of the candidate. Kerry looked poised, confident, and resolute whereas Bush came off as defensive and frustrated.

My guess is at the next debate Bush will try to appear more confident and relaxed and Kerry will continue to attack.