Monday, September 13, 2004

Trent's Foul Ball Story

Hey gang!
So tonight Rachelle and I received free tickets to the M's game. The place was deserted. Although our seats were in row 9 down the left field line, we decided to move to the third row. Great seats.

In the first inning when Vladimir Guerrero came up I leaned over to Rachelle and said "be careful, this guys hits the ball harder than anyone in the American League." He doubled hard down the line on the next pitch. Killed it. Foreshadowing...

In the top of the fifth inning Vladimir came up again and hit a line drive at about 150 miles per hour straight towards Rachelle and I. Rachelle said I threw off our blanket (it was very chilly) and jumped up to catch it. I got my hands on the ball and I could feel the sting as my left ring finger was directly hit. The ball fell out of my hand directly in front of me and I picked it up. Honestly I was dazed and in a little pain. Everyone started cheering so I held the ball up like a dork and took in the crowd's appreciation of a very bonehead move. With my knack of getting injured anytime I get up in the morning I really don't need to be jumping in front of foul balls. We looked down at my hand and it already had started to swell up so I took my ring off and declared myself single for the evening.

We left a bit early and when I arrived home Chris Downing had left a message saying they replayed my almost catch on TV and could swear it was me. He also added that Rick Rizz and whomever he was ass kissing tonight said that "[I] really paid the price for that one". Pretty cool. 150 mph. No joke.
Anyone TIVO the game? I would love a copy.

And that concludes Trent's Foul Ball Story


P.S. No, I had never caught a foul ball during the game before tonight and we have had season tickets for almost 20 years. I am a pro at catching batting practice Home Runs, but a foul ball has always alluded me. Time to ice my finger.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachizzle says...My hero! The ball was coming right toward us and I didn't know if we were going to get mobbed by foul ball thieves or if the ball would bounce off Trent and hit me or if he would miss it and it would give me a big shiner! So, I was thinking about taking cover under the seat, but I had to see waht was going to happen. It all happened so fast! Anyway, we have the ball and Trent is now a card carrying foul ball team member. (Due to the fact that one of the Mariner staff brought him an actual card! He also offered ice, but Trent was being a tough guy and declined.) Any way, it was very cool and am so glad I was there to witness it in person.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ericdagg said...

that is awesome...totally awesome...

Anonymous said...

That was almost a really nice catch, Trent - I saw that on TV. I?m amazed you didn?t fracture something; Vlad drilled that ball.

EVAN from USS Mariner

Trent said...

I went to that game Dave. I also went to the one that Jim Presley won on a grand slam too. Kingdome memories...
:)

ericdagg said...

Trent - what's the deal with the blog censorship? ;)

Trent said...

Huh?

ericdagg said...

The second comment on this post says, "This post has been removed by a blog administrator"

I just figured you deleted somebody's comment...

Trent said...

It was a double post. I love watching Bobby M pitch by the way. We finally found a pitcher for next year it looks like.

Trent said...

It's tough when they come at you hard man. Before the other night I had never even got my hand on one. I will say this though: Right now the Safe is fairly empty and anyone down the left field/3rd base line has a pretty good shot...

Anonymous said...

Rachizzle says... You guys are so cute with your "almost foul ball catching" stories. I had no idea you guys were so passionate about catching foul balls. It is really quite endearing. Who knew that foul balls were almost as cool as home run balls?!