Monday, August 22, 2005

More Grant

I love how the Dominican gets so much press in this one. Oh yeah, and I can't wait to go back. Last night after the race I was telling Grant (money bags!!!) to make sure and put some cash aside for a place at The Compound a.ka.a Casa del Smitt.

Rachelle and I had to listen to the race in the car because we got stuck at the border and then on I-5 in Everett on our way back from an amzing weekend in Vancouver. It was the most exciting two minutes I have ever spent stuck in traffic and I think the neighboring motorists must have thought we were nuts when we freaked out in the car.

It's amazing that Grant has come so far in such little time. I remember him writing the now infamous letter on the hammock in the D.R. over the course of a couple of days. He was so focused and so serious about his intentions. I on the other hand was more concerned about when the next swell would hit the coast and at what time I would drink my next Presidente. Actually, Grant was also concerned about his next Cerveza as well. Usually the first was at about 11:15 am. But I digress.

Anyway, we are so proud of our buddy and getting there to see him win the last race yesterday was a privilege. Walking with Grant to the back stretch and stable area was like walking with a President or Pope. Everyone, and I mean everyone wanted to shake his hand and congratulate him. Even people he didn't know wanted a piece of him.

Over the past few years I kept telling Grant "If you could win the Mile, that would be like the coolest thing of all time". I just didn't realize it would happen so quickly. What's next, the Derby?

Side note: We are still going to buy the official Cabin Fever horse at some point. If any of you are still interested, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachelle says... Grant, what an absolutely amazing weekend you had!
I was on the verge of tears when your horse came flying up the middle of the pack to win the Mile. 60-1 odds! Unbelievable! I am so happy for you. You deserve all the best for all of the hard work and dedication. Congratulations to you and your phenomonal team!