Sunday, December 05, 2004

Top 5 of 2004

Well, it's that time of year again. I always love to get some great ideas on new bands or CD's that I missed out on during the year. So in the spirit of High Fidelity we now present our Third Annual Top Five Music Awards.

Simply hit the comments button below and your top five to the list. You can log in as a guest and just write who you are, or you can create your own user password. Either way it is very easy to do.

I'll start with my favorites from the year and we can go from there.

Trent's Top Five
1. Brian Wilson "Smile"
I've only waited 15 years (or maybe more) for this.

2.Franz Ferdinand "Franz Ferdinand"
The perfect pop record and they are great live.

3.Ambulance LTD "Ambulance LTD"
Every song sounds like you have heard it before somewhere else, but in a good way. I could not stop playing this disc.

4.Loretta Lynn "Van Lear Rose"
"Well Portland Oregon and slow gin fizz, if that aint loving tell me what is...uh huh". Jack White produces the female Johnny Cash's best record in about 25 years.

5. Wilco "A Ghost is Born"
UnlikeYankee Hotel Foxtrot, this disc does not contain one prevailing mood. It does, however, contain 12 good songs. Not their best, but that is still better than most.

The ones that almost made it:
Modest Mouse
Interpol
CHK CHIK CHICK
Scissor Sisters
Secret Machines
Old Crow Medicine Show
Preston School of Industry
Black Keys
Beta Band

Now it's your turn. Just click on "comments" below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey all,

I'm going with
1 - Modest Mouse: Good news for people who love bad news
2 - Tom Waits: Real Gone
3 - Franz Ferdinand: self titled
4 - Black Keys: Rubber Factory
5 - The Walkmen: Bows & Arrows

And for some shameless self promotion, I'm predicting "Half Acre Day" will be in KEXP's top 20 albums of the year for '05. I think it's that good. And I'm pretty modest.

Have great holidays everyone - take care of each other.
Matt Cory

Anonymous said...

Rachizzle says...
Wow! I hope HAD does make it in the top 20 for KEXP! Good luck and I can't wait to hear the new album.

Okay, my top 5 are as follows:

Numero Uno: Franz Ferdinand. I love these guys. So catchy and so GAY! (Gay also means homosexual, but I meant the other gay.)

Numero Dos: Wilco- A ghost is Born. Can't think of one song I don't love. Abso-fucking-lutely amazing concert! Pardon my french, please.

Numero Tres: Modest Mouse- Good New For People Who Love Bad News. It's like each song is a story and has it's own mood, but then the whole album comes together into one fairly neat package.

Numero Cuatro: Interpol- Antics. I've always been into that deep, hypnotizing voice of the 80s. Takes me back to my roots.

Numero Cinco: Undecided. I have to think about this one a little more. And, I have to listen to the whole U2 and Scissor Sisters album. I'll get back to this one soon.
Thanks!
Rachelle

Trent said...

Thanks everyone for such detailed descriptions of the music. That cheerleader/theme show band sounds awesome. If you know anyone else that would want to add their favorites to the list, please forward the URL...

More, more, More!!!!

Anonymous said...

brian's top 5 -- all so emo it makes me sick! boo for me!

#1 -- the magnetic fields -- house of tomorrow
#2 -- badly drawn boy -- one plus one is one
#3 -- elliot smith -- from a basement on the hill
#4 -- mark lanegan -- hit the city
??? -- math and physics club -- no official release yet, but SOON!!!!
??? -- and you will know us by the trail of dead -- "worlds apart" coming this week? i know for #5 i cheated, but neither is out yet and thus i do not know if i love the entire album like i anticipate i will... so for now a tie, based off EPs and live shows, sorry?