Thursday, September 11, 2008

A list of all essential albums to absorb in high school.

http://agaudi.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/sc0006_the-beatles-white-album-posters.jpg
I agree with most on this list, but I think adding Physical Graffitti by Led Zeppelin, The Steve Miller Bands Greatest Hits, and Pearl Jam 10 is a must. Also, you need to have something from R.E. M. Most would argue for Murmurs, but I would say Automatic For the People, which was the 2nd best record of 90's after OK Computer.
By the way, you HAVE to take And Justice For All by Metallica over their Black Album. And where the hell is Appetite For Destruction by Guns-N-Roses?
I am sure you will think of some other albums that are missing...

http://server1.inzu.net/images/PaulWilkinson/Radiohead_Ok_Computer_1997.jpg
The question I have for you is this: what are the new modern classics that will be High School and college essentials? What albums that have come out in the last 10-12 years that everyone will own and know all the words or air guitar moves to?
I have a few ideas which I will add shortly, but I am interested in what you think? Go ahead and list the modern classics in the comments section and forward this post along to any music fans. Greatest Hits albums are OK as are EP collections like the Beta Bands Three Ep's and Fugazi's 13 Songs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The list is pretty good, but a couple that hit me are:
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Kinks - Face to Face
Beck - Odelay
Beatles - my pick would be Revolver
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

- matt cory

Unknown said...

Agreed on your revisions TK; Metallica's Justice way over Black (which is when Bob Rock started pooping on their records), and yeah, the absence of Appetite is a glaring sin of omission.

I'd also add:

AC/DC - Back in Black

Faith no More - Angel Dust

Queen - Greatest Hits

Run DMC - Raising Hell

The Police - Synchronicity

MC, you totally stole my Odelay thunder! The first one that came to my mind. But I'm shocked... where's the U2?

Matt K

Anonymous said...

Not having a Grateful Dead album in there makes the list invalid IMO J … Dead Set, Best of …, or One From the Vault would make excellent choices.
Brian H

Trent said...

I was going to add Odelay to the list as well (I had to get to work and couldn't finish my full post). Great call on Daydream Nation, Queen's Greatest Hits (the first album I fell in love with as a kid), and you're right, no U2? I am not even sure which U2 record to put there. I know everyone loves The Joshua Tree, but I love Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire too.

Zona Bob said...

Okay, the first thing I notice about the USA Today list is there's a lot of white people on it and not much else. It is what it is. I listen to a lot of white people, and I am a while people. However, to not include Stevie Wonder is that list is weird and a little embarrassing. Any of these 3 albums needs to get heard: Innervisions, Talking Book, Songs In The Key of Life. (or...are those albums you hear in college?)
I'd also include Tom Waits, probably Nighthawks at the Diner. Oh and if you look at that list again you'll see U2's Joshua Tree on there. You just skimmed over it, just like you do when you're trying to decide what to listen to, because you've permanently burned it into yr memory. (That's my experience anyways.)

In terms of modern classics, albums from the past 10-15 years that should be heard, and will hold up over time?

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
Built to Spill - There's Nothing Wrong With Love
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Eminem - The Eminem Show (or Slim Shady LP)
Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Half Acre Day - Fourteen Trips Around the Sun :)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Spoon - Girls Can Tell
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
John Vanderslice - Pixel Revolt

Trent said...

Well I should post my list soon because Garman just stole some of my thunder.

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

All of the above are on my currently being made up list. I think Illinois my be the album of the decade and NMH ITAOTS is in my top ten of all time.

I will post a compiled list after the weekend.

Anonymous said...

This might not be what pop culture will be strumming air guitar to, but at least my own kids will be in their high school years - from 1996 to the present:

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
Beck - Odelay
The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s
BRMC - Howl
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - CYHSY
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
Doves - The Last Broadcast
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Postal Service - Give Up
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
Pearl Jam - No Code
Screaming Trees - Dust

-J.Skoog