Monday, June 09, 2008

Listen to the New My Morning Jacket album Right Now!

Spin's Four and a half star review.

Rolling Stone's four star review.


Entertainment Weekly
gives in a A.

Obscure Sound gives it a 9/10.

My first reaction? Hmm. Hard to say. Musically it's all over the place. There is funk, soul, 70's James Taylor stuff, and some harmonies the Beach Boys or Bee Gees would recognize. Of course there is also some killer riff's, folky lyrics, and some class alt-country jamming that will make the traditional fan happy.
I'll give it a few more listens before I pass judgment, but lets just say My Morning Jacket has really expanded it's musical experimentation in the same way artists like The Beatles, Beach Boys, Beck, The Who, Queen, U2, Wilco, Flaming Lips, and Radiohead have all done. Will all the fans remain on board? We'll know soon enough, but my guess is most-likely.

Update:
I thought I would add a bit more in regards to the "experimentation" I refer to in the above paragraph. It was obvious on Z and even more so on Evil Urges that Jim James is a HUGE Prince fan. I get it. But I still don't know what to make of 'Highly Suspicious'. It's like Prince meets Krautrock meets hair metal. I played it for Rachelle and she loved it. I hated it initially. It threw me for a loop and on my first listen I felt the track stopped the album dead. Now I am not so sure. The damn thing is stuck in my head and I think I may actually enjoy it. I just kind of wish it wasn't My Morning Jacket maybe. I doubt I'll be the only one polarized by this song, but one song does not an album make, and the rest of Evil Urges is fantastic. I can't wait to see them on the 28th of September in Seattle.
Read my old review from the Showbox in 96 here.


No comments: