Thursday, March 01, 2007

Alpental was Superior today!






























Today I awoke to the sound of my cell phone ringing at 5:40 and my department head at school told me we didn't have school. Why, I asked? There wasn't any snow on the roads at my house. Evidently Shoreline received a few inches of snow and had announced snow day number seven. A couple hours later Erik texted and asked if I could meet at 9:15 to hit Alpental. Of course I could. It took a while to get to the pass because chains were required, but it was well worth it. Upper International had 12-20 inches of new snow and there was barely anyone on the hill. We made a few runs down Upper Nash and Lower Nash and on our third of fourth trip up chair 2 we saw the sign that told us Snake Dance was now open. We were the third or fourth people through Snake Dance and at the end of the trail a Ski Patrol gentleman was opening Lower Elevator. I was the third person down Lower Elevator and there was literally two-three feet of dry, white powder all around me. The next five minutes were the most exhilarating I have ever had on a snowboard. A barrage of Five to ten foot cliff drops and ten foot powder sprays were a constant. There were not any other lines back there and I couldn't hear another soul. Fantastic. It was like Christmas for a 32-year-old teacher on a snow day. Tomorrow will be great because they are expecting more snow and because lower traverse should open.

No comments: