Thursday, August 17, 2006

Waterfront Tunnel a better long-term solution

I like this study because it went beyond the immediate effects and costs of a tunnel and focused instead on Seattle's future. I would have accepted an opposite outcome gracefully, but the results prove what I have saying along: in the long-term this is the best solution for everyone.

Of course the tunnel would cost more money and as of right now there isn't a sure fire way to raise the funds without and large increase in taxes. But wouldn't you rather have something done right as opposed to a quick and cheaper fix?

Driving south down I-5 on Saturday reminded me of the short sightedness of Seattle's urban planning. Lets see, get on at 85th and get over to the left lane like you are supposed to do when you want to go fast. Then you need to get over to the far right lane because 65th traffic gets on the freeway from the left and slows traffic down. But you can't stay there too long because drivers from 50th and 45th need to get on to, so you move to the left. However, you can't stay there for too long because the exit for 520 slows traffic there, so you move to the right. This also helps you avoid the traffic from 520 attempting to merge onto south I-5. But if there is any type of event in Seattle you are screwed because the Mercer St exit will be backed up on the right, so you again move left. But you can't stay there either because Mercer St traffic merges onto I-5 from the left so you need to move right again. It's insane and this is just one example of poor long-term planning. This lack of vision costs of all us time and money every day. And isn't money what worries everyone about this tunnel?

Someday the politicians will think past the next 10,20, or 30 years and focus on the long term future of Seattle. I hope it starts now.

Some people think a public vote will solve everything, which is kind of weird because I voted FOR the monorail three times and all I was left with was a $384 tab renewal in June. Oh yeah, and I sure as hell don't see a monorail anywhere.

No comments: