Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Contender

With the exception of Survivor (and that's only because betting is involved), I'm not a big reality TV fan. Now there is something for me. I just saw The Contender, and if you like boxing, you will like this show. I know, boxing sucks nowadays, but this show could help. The first episode had the last 30 minutes featuring a 5 round fight between a scrappy underdog who calls out, and chooses to fight a 21-0 ranked opponent. It was a better fight then you might imagine.

Also, for those morbid individuals (and I just found this out looking for the website), one of the boxers killed himself last month during the taping of the show. I have no idea why, but you do get a good idea of the type of pressure these athletes put on themselves when you see this show, as many times, success leads to bigger things in life, and failure leads to a life without boxing (and that's all these guys know how to do). Side note - it's also hilarious watching Sly interact with anyone. I think he thinks the Rocky fights weren't fixed.

1 comment:

Trent said...

One of the boxers in this just committed suicide.