Tuesday, July 18, 2006

No compromise?

The Sonics were asking WAY TOO MUCH to help something that was already broke when they bought it (i.e. the Key Arena, the Sonics lease etc.) All I can say is if you can't fix it yourself and you can't buck up more than 20-30 million then you shouldn't own an NBA team. Besides that, why should I really care anyway if I can't afford to go to the games? My season tickets to see the M's cost me $38 a game, my Seahawk tickets were $44, and I can't see a Sonic game in a decent seat for under $100 (I know because my brother in-law took me to a bunch of games and I had sticker shock everytime I sat down in each different location).

My family had season tickets in the 80's and I loved watching the Sonics in the 90's, but Schultz and his inept ownership group have brought nothing to the table. The only decent thing they have done on their own is trade Payton for Allen, otherwise it's been a bunch of crappy basketball and a bunch of bizarre drafts. Currently, we need a defensive stopper and we drafted an immature seven footer even though we have two already.
This ownership group was terrible from the beginnng to the end. How many playoffs series have we won with this group in charge anyway? I was actually hoping they would sell to someone who could move them to Bellevue where there are more people who can afford to go to the games.

On the flip side, why couldn't any sort of compromise be reached? Paul Allen kicked in 100 million for his stadium. Could the CEO of Starbucks not come close to that? Or maybe at least offer a compromise? What about the city and their negotiation tactics, all or nothing? Sorry we can't help? Two idiots on both sides of the table and don't even try to tell me this group WANTS to keep the team in Seattle.

Art Thiel has a similar take today in the PI.

No comments: